Saturday, February 23, 2008

Journaled!



The Wall Street Journal Health Blog used this photo from my "remix" set to illustrate an article on "the medical equivalent of bubble wrap. I placed a statement in the set that you were free to use these to remix in your own art without credit. I had applied a creative commons attribution license to them as it was the most liberal flickr would allow.

My thinking was that as long as it was an element or a texture, go ahead and use it. I did put in some language to the effect, don't try to pass it off as your own. I never imagined anyone wanting to use any of these as an illustration in their own right! The Wall Street Journal editor who used my photo generously credited me and pointed back to my flickr photo, for which I am grateful. In fact I'm excited that it might draw somebody to my stream.

It was a lesson for me also, on licensing. I stated on the page:
"Feel free to remix. All I ask is that you don't sell it as is. You are free to sell your own artwork which incorporates it. Just don't be a troll."

I didn't want someone profiting strictly by stealing. I didn't even think someone might want to use it by itself. I'll need to keep that in mind when choosing licenses for anything, that I have any reservations about use.

No comments: